Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dust

Well, the sunrise was a bit of a bummer. Too cloudy. Did manage to take some nice shots, but then, when I reviewed the pictures, I spotted dust... ON THE SENSOR! One big piece is really spoiling most pictures, so before I show any they have to go through Photoshop to remove it.

Dust on the sensor is not uncommon, but the big problem is: how to get rid of it. I also discovered a piece of a hair, and it's totally stuck. The sensor on a DSLR is extremely sensitive, and replacing it if you scratch it will cost you the price of the camera. Canon can service it, but the testimonials from people who went through that aren't positive. They usually get it back with even more dust. Furthermore you loose the camera for about 2 to 3 weeks, not a nice prospect.

In fact, when messing around trying to clean it, I already damaged the focusing screen. It's scratched by a cloth that wasn't the right one, or from a grain of sand slipping through. That's not really a big issue, because it's just a piece of glass that can be replaced. They sell them new for a few dollars. But it shows how careful one needs to be with this equipment.

Reviewing photos from Beijing showed that the piece of hair was already on there. It only becomes visible at higher apertures, starting with F8 or so, and I don't take many shots that high. But knowing it's there already bothers me. It's also in a nasty position, at the top right, so it will show very easily when taking pictures with a piece of clear sky in it.

So now I'll start looking for the right cleaning kit, to do it myself... Also not a nice prospect, when you know that one wrong move will turn you suicidal...

In the meantime, whilst I sweat to somehow get my sensor cleaned, enjoy the photo I took before I spotted the dust... yes, a monkey again :-)


Click on the photo for a bigger version...

No comments:

Post a Comment