Friday, February 6, 2009

People

One of the more interesting subjects to take pictures of is people. But I still haven't mastered that art. Basically because I feel very reluctant to just point and shoot. And asking - which I mind less - results in either a 'no' or a very posed picture. The new 70-200mm lens helps me out a bit on the long end, but the thing is so conspicuous, that even from a distance people see me pointing it at them. Still, that's more comfortable, because then I have quite a distance between them and me when it turns out they don't appreciate their photographer (which has actually never happened to me).

This scene was shot in a random street in Phuket, and I noticed it was probably a homeless guy or a beggar living in his possessions. The lighting from this angle was perfect, but the guy is for the most part invisible.


When I passed the cart I walked a bit further and then turned around. Pretending to take pictures of the street I quickly lowered the camera and took a shot of him.


I must admit I always feel quite silly when I do this. Apart from the fact this particular scene wasn't a very happy sight, people are not stupid, as you can see: he's directly looking into the lens (which is better visible on the really big original). He had already spotted me walking by with the camera. The picture, made quickly and hastily isn't great and I have the light against me, now shining from behind the cart.

Then, as if he felt my predicament - I didn't want to walk away yet - and wanted to express very clearly that he really didn't give a shit, he fell backwards - a big swing with his arms into the sky - onto his rubble, and started snoring...

And I snapped away...

No comments:

Post a Comment