Friday, September 9, 2011

Them colors...

So, any color news this week?

Well, yes...

First I wanted a proper solution for the Y problem.

As you might remember, I did solve Y with a manual slider, but wasn't totally happy with that, because in every profile I inspected, green has the biggest Y and blue the smallest (poor blue).

It seemed to me there's a relationship between the color points and Y.

If I swap red and green, green needs to get the Y of red, and red needs to get the Y of green, else the colors go wonky (apart from switched).

Then I thought: why not adapt Y within the 'plane' of Y?

Which means: when I manually shift green to red, as soon as green arrives at red, it should have the same Y as red (get lower during shifting towards red) and v.v.

So now, when moving any point around, the 'height' of the point (its Y) will be decided by its position within the fixed plane defined by the three points of the triangle (which all have a different height).

Yes dear reader, that involved some math indeed, and it wasn't easy to find the proper solution of how to find the height of a random point if it needs to be in a specific plane, but I found it.

Now there's a choice in the point editor: either lock Y in the plane of 'Y' (defined by the Y's of the triangle) and have Y adapt automatically when you shift the color points around, or change Y manually per point. In fact, I also introduced a third option: let the big Y move with the small y.

You decide...

Then I concentrated on the proofing picture. I can now load my own photo, and split it, so I can see the difference of the edits compared to the original, and I can save the changed photo, since the color tranlation is done on the pixel level of the photo (mind you, this saving of the photo is just a bonus and not the aim... it's about changing a color profile, not about editing individual photos through messing up a profile, although that is a possibility now)... let me show you...

Point editor and proofing photo, with the results of the changes in the left part of the photo (blue and red swapped - funny detail: notice how green stays green in the leaves on the changed left side)... this point swapping is useless mind you... when editing a profile it should be about small changes... this is just to show you the contrast between the changes and the original... obviously this works also for the curve editor...

It's too early to call the application finished - I still have a myriad of small issues to solve, but all the essential building blocks for editing display profiles are in place now...

No comments:

Post a Comment